Jamia ka Tarana

Jamia ka Tarana

Sep 12, 2007

Jamia Millia Islamia....Jumman Bhai

JUMMAN BHAI was a prominent personality of jamia senior secondary school.

Basically he was responsible for many things in school other than administrative & teaching job.
Right from ringing of bell to provide mouse for dissection in biology lab, he was absolute.
Jumman bhai was having many friends with no enemy.
He was always smiley with cracking jokes to all the people.
It is very difficult for me to key down personality of jumman bhai, as he was a multidimensional man.
I still wonder from where he used to get rats for the laboratory?
There were three hostels in Jamia senior secondary school & I have witnessed many students going to jumman bhai’s house (within school boundary & adjacent to hostel-3) & taking breakfast, lunch & dinner. All free of cost.
During school time, many girls used to visit his house & the care shown by his entire family was beyond explanation.
If any hosteler is sick, it is jumman bhai, who used to take care of him.
Right from taking him to dispensary (Ansari health center), bringing back him to his house, comforting him with tea, milk & all kind of available facilities of home.
I never found any body complaining of jumman bhai right from students to the staff.
If some body dies then it was jumman bhai & his family who arrive first to console them.
When it comes to collecting money for Jamia masjid, it was jumman bhai & family along with mirza family who leads the way.
His support was not limited to the students of jamia senior secondary school; it went up to fine arts department situated next to school.
Iam sure that his earnings were way lesser than the teaching staff, but he leads all of them in many ways.
He was the one who even dare go to abdul haq khan saheb to influence his decision if it comes to the benefit of any student & was very much successful.
Although short in height by nature, his real height was more than many big people around.


If some body asks me what are the values of Jamia Millia Islamia & what culture does it have?
I will simply reply to him, go & meet Jumman bhai;

Love & affection for all, big heart to accommodate every one, gratitude, courage to share even if he doesnot have, bring smile to some one even he is in pain, teaching the practical things to the students even he was not a teacher, getting them familiar with truth of life by help of easy & thoughtful examples, taking initiative to help the needy are few features of Jumman bhai rather, feature of My beloved institution, JAMIA MILLIA ISLAMIA.

4 comments:

  1. amazing... I knew Jumman Bhai and obviously had great respect for him, but what u have written is something that has brought me to respect the man much more. I never knew him that close. Probably my father knew him better. Is Jumman bhai alive? Would love to meet him on my next rip to India/ Delhi.
    Shadab Khan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shadab Bhai,
    I think he is alive but retired, presently living in gaffar Manzil alongwith his family.
    Jameel bhai, his son is also a jamia employee & they are in one of the staff quarter there.
    I think the one next to timmu's house!! & mujeeb shaib's residence....
    These people are really good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice description of Jumman bhai and his family. May allah place him in Jannat-al-firdos and reward him best for his kindness. I remember him for his jolly nature and open heart in all his deeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salaam everyone...
    I am not as old a member of the Jamia world as you all might have been, but Jumman Bhai was somebody I have spent some of my growing years with. He was an epitome of kindness, the perfect beyond perfection. I remember him coming to pick us up from the school whenever my mother wasn't able to. It's been a pleasure to have known this man. He was exceptional.

    @people above.. He passed away few years back, I guess in 2006 or so. May Allah bless him in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Jamia ka tarana (english)




This is the land of my hopes
This is the land of my dreams
This is where men with zeal stayed
Men who answered the leaders' call
It is here that torn-off love
Found the cohesive chords
It is here that wayward passions
Formed into frenzied love
It is here that the wild tulip learnt
How to make the scar of heart aglow
This is the land of my hopes
This is the land of my dreams
This is the place of men of vision
And of those with a challenging thought
Every morning here is new
And every evening newer still
Different is this tavern
And different are its norms
Different are the dancing cups
And different is their dance
Here drinking begets thirst a new
And different is this tavern's call
This is the land of my hopes
This is the land of my dreams
Here, conscience is the beacon light
And conscience is the guide
Here is the Mecca of heart resides the guiding faith
Ceaseless movement is our faith
And blasphemy it is to stay still
Here, the destined goal is the march on and on
Here, the swimming urge seeks
Newer and newer storms
Restless wave itself is our resurrected shore


Translated by: Prof. M. Zakir