Jamia ka Tarana

Jamia ka Tarana

Aug 23, 2007

Journey to Jamia Millia Islamia with Suleman Akhtar

Followin article was written by Suleman Akhtar on my request while he was in Dubai.

It goes like......

"My Golden days with My Jamia Millia Islamia"

"Assalam O Alaikum Jamiates,

Myself Sulaiman Akhtar.I am an ex-student of Jamia Millia Islamia,New Delhi since class Nursery.
Our Nursery was located near present VC office which is now turned into Computer Centre.My batch was the last in that Nursery after that it was shifted to the current location.I remember Abdullah Bhai who use to drop me to my home on his bicycle and we students often use to tease him as “Abdullah Bhai…….Paaan Khai”

For me Jamia is my Home Univerity.My Grand father Late Mr.Barkat Ali Firaq was one of the founder member of Jamia Millia Islamia.So he was attached with Jamia when it has taken birth from Aligarh,then moved to Karol Bagh and finally based in Okhla (now called as Jamia Nagar).

My father Mr Asif Ali,Uncle-Mr Arif Ali, second Uncle Mr Aamir Ali,My phoopis, Mrs Aisha Khatoon,Mrs Anjum Ara and Mrs.Maimoona Parveen ,my cousins and we all brother and sisters were educated through out our education from Jamia Millia Islamia.

My Phoophi Mrs.Aisha khatoon was a teacher in Jamia Middle School and Higher Secondary as well.
My Uncle Mr. Arif Ali is Head of the department now a days in Bio Sciences in Jamia Millia Islamia.

My Grand father Late Mr Barkat Ali Firaq was also a HistoryHihhi Lecturar in old Jamia.He expired in 1978.

So we all were very much attached to Jamia since our childhoods and born and brought up in “Jamae”envirnment.

I remember lots of sweat memories during my studies from Jamia,few of them I would like to refresh with you Jamiates.

When I was in Primary School,there was only lorry of Jamia which was an American “Chevrolet”Truck .Our teachers,students,my Dadi, etc all were use to go on picnics in the same lorry with raising slogans” Hamari Picnic Zindabad, Jamia Lorry Zndabad’

After some period I found that lorry parked Idle in the garage for so many years.It was no more functional.Whenever I use to saw that lorry I felt bad about that,why it is not running.

Now that lorry is still there but in dismantled roof,chassis,engine in parts.When o moved into college I performed my smithy shop practicals under the roof of the same lorry which is present at Jamia Polytechnic lab.I performed my Automobile practicals on the same lorry engine and studied on it.

Now I am working in Dubai in Automobile Industry with Chevrolet Cars and trucks.I found that kind of lorrys here with pepsi factory in Al Qouz.When that lorry came to me for repairs I had tears in my eyes thinking of our same “Jamia Chevrolet Lorry” on which I traveled in my childhood and studied on it.

I was an average student throughout.I was shy in my nature. I still remember of our “Bachon Ka Bank”,”Khane ka MATBAQ”,”Pyam-e-Taleem”&”Umang” magazines.Those taranas in morning assemblies, Performing exercise with Mr Aaftab Sir commanding in his unique style“ HOO-Shiyaar” &“AA- Raam”.(attention & at ease)

Taking part in “Ek Din Ka Madarsa”, ”KHUWANCHAS”,Performing Guard of Honour to VC on 29th October every year, getting sweets on annual day.

My dad was a stage artist since his schooling and college time. All those old students and collegues of my father like Khalid Saifullah Sb, Ikram Sb, Masood Sb. Etc, use to perform stage dramas in the open air theatre at Fine Arts Department on the occasion of Jamia Birthday.

My Phoopi Aisha madam and her daughters(my cousins) always took parts in “Bait Bazi” debates and we students always with our paintworks and handicrafts converted the Jamia walls and other event parts into beautiful scenario.

Mr Shakeel Kakwi,who made “Science Aur kainat Club” is also not to forget.We students use to take part in Science Exhibitions held every February on the occasion of Dr. Zakir Hussains Birth day.

I remember one incident when I was in class 11th .I often use to sing filmi songs in the empty classroom during our interval time to get the ECHO effect and concentration. My friends also use to listen my songs. When there was a time to give farewell party to our seniors, my friends pumped me that I do sing very well and should take part in the coming farewell party. Then what.. I was on high skies. I gave my name for a solo song for the event.

I remember the song,it was “ Aate Jaate,…, Hanste Gaate,…,Socha Tha Meine Man mein Kai Baar,…” from the movies “Maine Pyaar kiya”.I listened to that song for so many times in order to learn it by heart and also put down on piece of paper so that not to forget the words and lyrics on stage.

That day arrived and I was put on the open air theatre stage.My hands and legs were shivering and I was sweatting in cold weather.It was my first ever performance to sing on stage.I started the song without any background music and completed first stanza somehow.But you know hooting from back stage is everybodys birth right,who can stop that.Same thing was happening with me during my singing as a result I was more nervous and my voice was shivering.

When I was about to start the second stanza………!!!!!!!???????? I forgot the “dhun” of the second stanza of song . I made beautiful excuse on stage that due to this hooting I am not going to complete my song and came out of the stage. But that was not the end to it. My seniors requested the audience to keep silent and put me back on stage to complete my song. But by that time I was trying to recollect the “dhun” for the secong stanza but was unable to remember that time, so I started the song from the beginning again.The hooting as usual started again. But this time there was no excuse for me. So I tried to sing the second stanza from the piece of paper but made it more than worst from its original track. I was hooted badly for that.

From that day I decided to join Ustaad Zameer sb. Who was Music teacher in Middle School.Days turned in my favour and when I moved to college,I performed a song with full orchestra on stage in my fresher’s party .That performance was so good that I became famous for my voice in singing in my college. After that I did many performances in Jamia, outside Jamia, on TV program”Bazm”as well.

After my Diploma in Mechanical Engineering in 1995 I started working in Delhi and joined B.E. Mechanical from jamia Engg. College evening Course which I passed out in year 2000.

I am not getting proper words to express my feelings but yes I have all those golden memories of Jamia in my heart.

I hope you Jamiaets enjoy this specially those who were with Jamia since Nursery or Schooling and have same kind of memories with them".

Take care,

Allah Hafiz

Sulaiman
DUBAI

1 comment:

  1. asslam alykum zubair ...aaj main ne tumhara blog achanak meri nazar ke samne aya main ne jab us ko dekha to jamia main guzara hua har pal meri aankho se aise guzra jaise main abhi jamia school our deegar facalties ke marhale se abhi guzar raha hon mujhe ye jaan kar bohat khushi hui ke jamia ne hame jo kuch bhi sikhaya ya is tahreek se jo kuch hum ne seekha us ko doosro tak pohnchane main aap ba dastoor lage hue hai ..aaj kal hum log jamia millia islamia ke minorty charactor ke liye koshish main lage hue hai dua karna ke ALLAH logo ko is maiksad main kaamyaab kare Allah hafiz...
    BADARUDDINE QURAISHI mera email id note kar lijiye (badarbhai@rediffmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Jamia ka tarana (english)




This is the land of my hopes
This is the land of my dreams
This is where men with zeal stayed
Men who answered the leaders' call
It is here that torn-off love
Found the cohesive chords
It is here that wayward passions
Formed into frenzied love
It is here that the wild tulip learnt
How to make the scar of heart aglow
This is the land of my hopes
This is the land of my dreams
This is the place of men of vision
And of those with a challenging thought
Every morning here is new
And every evening newer still
Different is this tavern
And different are its norms
Different are the dancing cups
And different is their dance
Here drinking begets thirst a new
And different is this tavern's call
This is the land of my hopes
This is the land of my dreams
Here, conscience is the beacon light
And conscience is the guide
Here is the Mecca of heart resides the guiding faith
Ceaseless movement is our faith
And blasphemy it is to stay still
Here, the destined goal is the march on and on
Here, the swimming urge seeks
Newer and newer storms
Restless wave itself is our resurrected shore


Translated by: Prof. M. Zakir