Jamia ka Tarana

Jamia ka Tarana

Jul 17, 2007

Past tense....Jamia Sr.Sec.School

Akhlaque sahib, Urdu teacher in middle school, warden of iqbal manzil (hostel) & an active person stopped me while i was marching towards canteen.
He then informed me about essay writing competition during talimi Mela.
It was all India essay writing competition & topic was "Dr.Zakir Hussein", he wants me to participate in that.
Reluctantly i said yes when he told me about the prize money.
Winner= Rs.1000
Runner up=Rs.700
Third= Rs.500.
Any of the amount considered to be good during 1985-86.
Altough the task was difficult since hundreds of students from many places were due to take part, however, i started with reading the books related to Dr.Zakir Hussein.
After reading for almost three days, i starts writing the essay.
It tooks me two days to finalize it & finally it was ready for submission before one of closing time.
Talimi Mela started & on the final day i came to know that i won the second prize, but prize money will take another weeks time to reimbursed.
I went to Akhlaque sahib & he told me, the prize money is collected by Abdul Haqq khan sahib from the foundation & you can go & ask him.
I went to him, he said come tomorrow.
I went again, again he said tomorrow.
My dreams of spending that money starts crumbling.
I didn't given up & so khan sahib.
It went for months, school closed for half yearly, reopens & i went to ask him again.
Again i got promise.
Initially he used to smile but later this smile transformed into something else.
Finally after chasing him for six months, he refused & told me in plain words that iam not going to have it.
I went disappointed.
Was thinking for many hours why he did that, how he will be benefited with those 700 rupees.
I never get the answer from myself too.
After 22 years i have nothing against khan sahib.
He has given so much to Jamia senior secondary school that no body could achieved so far, except my Rs.700.
I considered,although i stood second but i never won any prize money.
May Allah Give khan sahib good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jamia ka tarana (english)




This is the land of my hopes
This is the land of my dreams
This is where men with zeal stayed
Men who answered the leaders' call
It is here that torn-off love
Found the cohesive chords
It is here that wayward passions
Formed into frenzied love
It is here that the wild tulip learnt
How to make the scar of heart aglow
This is the land of my hopes
This is the land of my dreams
This is the place of men of vision
And of those with a challenging thought
Every morning here is new
And every evening newer still
Different is this tavern
And different are its norms
Different are the dancing cups
And different is their dance
Here drinking begets thirst a new
And different is this tavern's call
This is the land of my hopes
This is the land of my dreams
Here, conscience is the beacon light
And conscience is the guide
Here is the Mecca of heart resides the guiding faith
Ceaseless movement is our faith
And blasphemy it is to stay still
Here, the destined goal is the march on and on
Here, the swimming urge seeks
Newer and newer storms
Restless wave itself is our resurrected shore


Translated by: Prof. M. Zakir